Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Healing Field

I decided to take Trigger to Tempe Beach Park this morning and figured we could also walk Mill Ave and practice our training. I forgot that Tempe erects The Healing Field each September 11th. I have seen it on the news and in the newspaper and always wanted to go in person. I was so excited to see it up when we arrived.
Sunrise on the water, Trigger is very interested in the kayakers!
When we first approached, the sun was just beginning to come up. It was quiet and peaceful and there were a few people wandering amongst the flags, some taking photos. I felt a rush of emotions, knot in my throat, eyes welling up. Each flag represents a person lost that day. Each flag is marked with their name, age and a brief bio. Public servants also had a yellow ribbon attached to the flag. It was overwhelming and sad and moving to be there, walking among those thousands of flags.

No comments:

Post a Comment